Friday 18 May 2012

The Norwegian National Day

On the 17. May we celebrate our National Day. This is the date at which our constitution was first signed. The traditional celebrations is walking in parades after marching bands, eating lots of ice-cream and playing funny games(especially for children). The celebration is mostly devoted to the children in Norway, they have their own parades and this day is about them having fun.

For me, this 17. May meant I finally got to wear my traditional Norwegian costume, bunad. I did not bring it to Sydney, so it had been two years since I last wore it. I really like wearing it even though it is a hassle to iron the shirt the day before and exhausting to wear the whole day. It is also a typical problem to get blisters from the shoes.

Since the day is about celebrating our country, I had to start the day with a run in the forest. The nature in Norway is something really appreciate. It started with perfect running weather, dusk rain, and I could not have got a better start on the day. But just when I got home, it really started pouring down and it did not stop till late in the evening. So it was a wet and cold celebration this year.
Ida joined me on the morning run:) Trondheim looks rather grey..:/

After the run, the next on my program was champagne breakfast with the rowing group. The breakfast lasted quite a while, and I went directly to the parade. It is so much fun to watch the parade in Trondheim because all sort of people walk in the parade and try to entertain the audience. After a while I joined the parade and walked for the rowers and then for EMIL. Part of walking in the parade is shouting hurray, the name of your school or organization or singing songs. This is very true for walking with EMIL; you haven't done a good job, if you don't have a sore throat.
Bagpipes seems to be in every parade I go to:)

Anything to keep dry and warm:)

Men in uniform! Hurray!

It seems not everyone is happy about walking in the parade

drumming nurses, very cool!




Vikings=)

!

!!!

The rowers with oars and blazers for the occasion:)

Walking with EMIL is always nice:) The EMIL oath is written on the back of the "banner": Teach us the joy of simple things, about laughter that doesn't have hurt in mind, forgiveness free of motive and love to all humans underneath the sun

After the parade I was so lucky that a friend and her brother invited my over for dinner(it's impossible to go get a table anywhere on this date, especially when it is raining). To get a homemade meal and traditional dessert out of the blue is luxury for a student! Thank you very much!=)

All in all a good day, although the weather could have been better. Plenty of highlights through the whole day=) Now, it is back to having no life and writing and writing and writing on my thesis. Thank god for daydreaming..:)
Not every day I get a rose so it was highly appreciated even though it was from a random guy(not being a stalker)

No comments:

Post a Comment