Thursday 13 September 2012

Besseggen -an overrated hike?

The hike across Besseggen is rated as one of the most beautiful hikes in Norway and is therefore also one of the most popular ones. The hike goes from Memurubu to Gjendesheim in Jotunheimen National park. To get to Memurubu most people take the ferry from Gjendesheim. It is possible to make the trip one day longer by taking the ferry a bit further and starting the hike at Gjendebu. Then you hike across Bukkelægret to get to Memurubu. A rather steep hike at times, but nice indeed:)
Besseggen is famous for its wonderful view with a green lake on one side and a blue one on the other. The view was beautiful, but the rest of the hike was disappointing. For me the hike got ruined by all the people everywhere, it was like walking down the main shopping street in a big city on a Saturday. Not what  I prefer when I am up in the mountains. So even though I understand why it has become so famous, I think the popularity is damaging the experience.
One of the most positive things about Besseggen, was that it gave a great view over to Knutshøe. This mountain seemed so fun to hike that the trip was extended by an extra day. And it was absolutely worth it! The hike was very nice, but maybe a bit more difficult than Besseggen. We only saw a handful of other people on the hike so it was hard to imagine that Besseggen was only minutes away.  
The cabins around Besseggen are very big and nice, but for me they were to similar to a hotel. They lacked some of the personality and charm the cabins in Trollheimen have.
All in all a nice trip, but Besseggen will never be one of my favourites. It is a hike that is fun to have walked, but that I will never do again. I can only recommend the hike to those who doesn't mind hiking in a huge crowd.
Besseggen

On my way to the top of Knutshøe=)

Satisfied with the hike 

Knutshøe

No comments:

Post a Comment