Wednesday 1 February 2012

San Ignacio

On my way to Salta and the north-west of Argentina I made a stop in San Ignacio. In the down you find one of the missions founded by the Jesuits. The ruins in this down is very well preserved. There are more ruins nearby, both in Argentina and in Paraguay. Even though it was interesting to see how they lived, and especially since the society was almost communistic, and to see that the plaza was so central also here,  it was not the most interesting thing that happened during my stay.

It all started when I arrived late on the bus terminal. Because of some stupid tourists on my tour in Brazil we ended up getting back later than expected and I had to catch a later bus to San Ignacio. This bu also got delayed so when I got to San Ignacio it was past midnight. I thought no worries: I had booked a hostel and I had been told the hostels were close to the bus station. After I left the bus and the drivers had called me loco for traveling alone many times, I was lost. It was almost no light and there were no people. The other person that also got of the bus had walked fast in the direction that seemed like the only way to go, so I decided to follow him. After a while I met a guy, that of course seemed scary at first, but helped me with directions. Sadly he could inform me that there were no taxis in San Ignacio at this time of day(or night). The next people I met really scared me, they told me the place I was going to were several km away and no light. I didn't believe them and went towards a sign saying hotel hoping they could help me. By now there were some people in the street and more streetlights. A girl outside the hotel spoke English (Hurray!) and told me it was only some blocks down the road. Sadly I had to walk away from the light and towards the darkness again.  When it started to get really scary again I realized I was walking past the police station and I decided to ask the man on duty just to be sure. He told me that the place I was looking for was several km away, as the other had did. And my hope faded of ever getting to sleep this night. One doesn't move fast with a heavy backpack on one's shoulders. Luckily he got me a "taxi" and on we went. Away from everything that seemed slightly safe to the dirt road and the forest. A lot of thoughts ran through my mind before he stopped. It was nothing there. Just a house I could barely see in the darkness. I explained to the driver that this could not be the place and he understood were I really was going. There was only one letter difference between this place and the name of my hostel. Finally I arrived at my hostel, only 2 blocks from the police station (unbelievable!), but it was closed! And when I turned around the taxi had gone. After knocking and yelling for a while, I decided to walk towards the centre again hoping that the English speaking girl was still sitting there: She was!=) Even before I reached here, she saw be and asked me what was the matter. I explained and she just said "I know what to do". All of a sudden I was in an other car and two minutes later I was outside an other hostel that was open! Happiness! I hugged the girl a long time before she left. THANK YOU!

I do not think I was in any danger at any time, but I was tired and it was dark. And in Argentina it seems like they have a tradition of fear, that I am not so certain that they really need to have any longer. This is the only time I ever felt scared my entire trip. People in Argentina are just very kind, helpful and really likes to talk. (Even if you don't speak Spanish). But their tradition of fear also planted a seed of fear in me because of all the warnings and stories people told. And I understand it is nor easy to get rid of.

The next day I got to know Chloe, my only roommate. A French girl also traveling by herself. After visiting the ruins, we went to have empanadas and beer for lunch. This was the first time I tried empanadas and the Argentinean beer: I loved both of them=) I had such a good time in San Ignacio, I was sad to leave so soon. It was a nice place once I got a place to sleep. The service at this hostel was also fantastic; They couldn't get a taxi for me when I was leaving so the owner drove me himself. The place was called San Ignacio Adventure Hostel and had a nice location, a garden and a swimming pool=)
How the mission looked originally

Chloe had been in Argentina longer than me and thought me the tradition of drinking mate, a really nice drink=)



Systems for handling water:)

No one has lived here for long...

Nice "tiles"

A lot of renovation going on in Argentina



Empanadas, beer and good company:) Notice the "thermos" covering the beer...

No comments:

Post a Comment