Wednesday 21 August 2013

Hiking in Dovre: Dindalshytta-Åmotdalshytta-Snøhetta-Reinheim-Kongsvoll

IFinally I had some time off at the same time as the weather forecast told me that the weather would be nice enough for a three day long hike I have wanted to to for a year=) hurray! The hike started by a short leg from Lønset, where I parked my car, to Dindalshytta. It took me approximately 2 hrs to get to the hut, and I am glad it did not take longer as I had to start rather late due to work. To get there you can either walk along a road and then along some old roads when you enter the national park. An other option is to take a shortcut and follow the marked path. I tried to follow the path but I soon lost it as it seems it is not often used. But carrying a map it is no problem finding the way, path or no path. When I got to the hut there were already fire in fireplace and 3 people were sitting chatting around the table. Of course they seemed happy and cheerful, as people tend to be when you meet them in the mountains:) After chatting for a while I was offered to join two of them for the most part of the second leg. The weather forecast for the second day was not all that good, but not so bad that it would be a problem do the hike alone. But walking alone for 10 hrs or so in grey weather is not that tempting, so I happily said yes!



I crossed the river Driva when I walked from Lønset to Dindalen

The second leg from Dindalshytta to Åmotdalshytta was long, grey and wet and did not offer much of a view. But I had good company and the kilometres flew by:) In the beginning the path went through an area with rocks which had become slippery because of the rain. At this part it was good to have someone around. Some highlights are shown in the photos following. After I started on the last part, about a two hrs long hike, it felt like I would never get there. From walking together with someone the whole day to walking the last bit alone when I started to get tired, was tough. When I finally saw Åmotdalshytta I was superhappy and got just the energy I needed to get there. At this point you may wonder why I want to put myself through walking in cold and grey weather for more than 10 hrs. Well, I don't mind it raining unless it makes it dangerous and slippery, and since this day was about getting from a to b it did not matter that I did not have a view. And hiking like this makes getting inside and getting warm again an even bigger reward and the hike a bigger accomplishment=) Also here I was the last one who came to the hut that evening, and it was already warm and cosy. I could therefore focus on myself. Taking a bath and getting of the sweat to make sure I don't get cold after sitting down for a while. Bathing in cold water is just cold for a short while since it makes your blood starts pumping really fast and you can feel the warmth spreading out inside:) Also at this hut I met nice people and got to hear great stories about hiking experience. I love the way people behave towards one another when they are out in the nature! When I told people what I had planned the next day, they were quick to offer a helping hand regarding my duties the following morning. I gladly said thank you and appreciated the early start I was able to get.
Where is the sun?



A toilet for midgets?
I couldn't see much:p

Several streams to cross on the second leg

A hiding place for bad weather?

Pilbua, an impressive building!

Someone bad have just been here! a grotesque sight

It is important to eat and drink regularly!:) 

Any fish here?

YES! I can see this day goal!!

Åmotdalshytta
I set off from Åmotdalshytta knowing I had the longest leg left. The first goal was to get to the top of Snøhetta. When I woke up that morning the first thing I did was look out the window to check if it was possible to get to the summit or not. Clouds had covered the summit yesterday, and to my bi disappointment they still did. Was this whole trip a waist? But 10 minutes later I checked again and the clouds seemed to be moving away and I started to get ready. To path to the top went mostly in rocky terrain, not my favourite when carrying a heavy backpack.... Just before I got to the top I turned and looked to some of the other summits of the mountains and I was really surprised of how steep the mountain was. The mountains further in the country tend to be more gentle and round than the ones at the coast. At the summit I got an amazing view, indescribable! But here is also where the crowd started, I was no longer alone that is for sure.
Getting to Reinheim from Snøhetta is okay, but in the beginning there were a lot of rocks there as well.  I was very happy when I got to walk on soft ground again.
Lots of places to go to from Åmotdalshytta


Almost at the summit!:D

There used to be military activity in the area, I think that is why there is a tower at the top




Reinheim
When I got to Reinheim I realised I had spent too much time to get there and if I was to catch the train I had to catch to get home I had to speed up. Luckily it was no problem doing so as my feet were still not sore and now there was a good path to walk on. It is really difficult to speed up when you walk on big rocks, especially carrying a heavy backpack... The only obstacle that could delay me was the muckox. They had been grassing on the path earlier on the day and made people go far away from the path. I hoped they had moved away a bit and that they were in a good mood. I am not particularly afraid of muskox, but I don't need to see them up close. It would be amazing to see them from a distance though. As it turned out I got both experiences that day. First I saw them grassing up a hill an thought to myself that now I had passed them and I was safe for the rest of the trip. Then all off a sudden there was this noise on my right side: a muskox running away from me! WOW! I did nor have time to get frightened and it didn't seem as if there was a point to either. Once he or she(how can you tell the difference?) got 20 meters away from me he or she was once again busy grassing.
Finally a nice, soft path:)


Muskox far away

Muskox really close!
I made it to the train station with a good margin and the train took me back to Oppdal. From Oppdal there was a corresponding bus which goes past Lønset. If you want more information on the hike you can find it here. A really nice and eventful hike that I really recommend!


I was really happy to see Kongsvol train station

No comments:

Post a Comment