Tuesday 14 August 2012

Flaggnuten -a hike that challenges both body and mind

Flaggnuten is a viewpoint some 431 meters above sea level. There are two paths to the viewpoint that gives an excellent view of Sunndalsøra: the more humane one that is not very steep, but long and the scary one that is very steep, but fast. I have been to Flaggnuten several times, but all except one time I have taken the long route. The one time I managed to hike the steep route, I took the long one down... So it was about time I managed to take the steep route both up and down, and when my brother wanted to help me I could not say no. On the way up there are three places that are particularly difficult for me since I am scared of heights. At these places one has to use a chain to get up. Once I started to trust the chain the hike to the top was okay, but I started to worry for the hike back long before we reached the top. I really wanted to manage the hike down because it would be a personal victory, and with a lot of help from my brother who got his patience tested, I did it! But I was really scared a couple of times! What a feeling=)

Even though the hike is used as a daily exercise for many I would not recommend anyone taking the hike alone when they do it the first time, unless they are very familiar with airy hikes:) For those who are very fit the hike can be done in 20 minutes. What I especially like about this hike is that one has to use the whole body. The days after the hike my muscles were very sore and my arm and back muscles were aching the most.


We can see Flaggnuten from home

My mother getting past the first chain

Some are more relaxed than others

Sunndalsøra

On the safe side of the rock

Feeling on top of the world!


The long way back down...

No comments:

Post a Comment