Wednesday 11 April 2012

My traditional Easter holiday

I, as many other Norwegians, associate the Easter with skiing, preferably somewhere in the mountains, it is supposed to be sunny and warm, a lot of chocolate and marzipan and spending quality time with family at the cottage. This Easter was almost perfect. The weather was on and off, but well enough to go skiing every day. My family may be a bit more active than most families; while the usual skiing trip doesn't end to far from where it started and one sits down to make a fire to eat sausages and marshmallows, we go on long trips and high up. But one of the days we actually stopped on our way down from the mountain in our backyard, Tovenfjellet, and had a nice lunch outside.

Oh, I almost forgot. For many people, and indeed for my family, the holidays are all about traditions. And it seems like the amount of traditions just keepon increasing every year, and we are about to reach a point where there will be no room to be impulsive:S Traditions are good, but not too many!

The first tradition is a skiing competition up a mountain, a race I have participated in since I was 4 years old. I am sad every year I miss it. A new tradition that was started last year is afterski after the race. Nothing like alcohol after an exhausting race:p My brother brought tequila. As he had never drunk it before, he had no idea how it tasted and thought it tasted good. He was in for an unpleasant surprise...

I love tequila!:p

Really? Do I have to take an other one?

Here are some photoes from our skiing trips:)
The mountain in my backyear, Tovenfjellet:)

The view to the fjord...

One get a good view of the mountain, Luktind

The track home=)

My dad being very determined to reach the top. Where is the better way to reach the top?

My sister, Idun, with Syv Søstre in the background

The master of making a fire

My sister can be a bit too optimistic...
Every wednesday in the easter we drive a terrible road to get to a skiing race, Harvassdalsrennet. It is very hard to get up, the weather is usually very bad and some times not even enough snow. But because it is tradition and because it is a very social event we always make the trip:)
Nice to meet relatives:)

The wather changes fast up north!
Thursday is the day for the easterparty! It is a public party where everyone over 15 can attend. The music is allways good and it is a good opportunity to dance swing=) Really good atmoshere, but from time to time some people might drink a bit to much and do silly or stupid things. Common things are not being able to stand and ones feet and fall over all the time, getting undressed and of course getting into a fight.
Trying to get rid of the tequila at the preparty:)


My cousin was sober:( she was in the arranging committe and that means she violated a tradition!:-o

Crazy on the dancefloor

My parents are allways dancing at these parties=)

Happy sisters
And we're back to the main goal of the easter: skiing every day!
On the way up to Kveldtuva

A bit freezing on the top!

The start of a new tradition?
This easter we did something new: going out on Saturday too, to check out the pubs in the nearest town. We have to wait untill next year to see if is a new tradition or not.


1 comment:

  1. Nicely written and fine pictures. Keep up the good work and traditions!

    ReplyDelete